How Google Maps and Local Guides are changing the world




A couple of years ago, I travelled to a city far away from my home. I had no one in that city, nor any reliable direction. My only bet was by word of mouth and asking for directions. 


 I encountered so many strange people with strange attitudes who don't like talking to strangers or giving directions to strangers, because of mistrust or erroneous beliefs. I had a difficult time getting directions to where I was going. 


Then I found a simple trick to get directions from locals and strangers. I learned by instinct how to select friendly strangers to ask for directions and how to always find those that would respond positively. 


The simple trick was to find a local seller by the road side, first patronize them by buying their wares, even if you don't need their goods. When you buy their goods and at the same time ask or inquire for direction about where you are going, they would give you honest and sincere answers without being afraid of talking to strangers. 


So that was how I was getting directions to my destination in new cities, before google maps became popular and useful and changed the game for travelers for ever.


Now i just pick up my smartphone , with internet connection, log into google map, check the direction of my destination, calculate the distances, compare the best route to get there and avoid traffic jams, select and compare the prices of hotels in my destination and help me plan on my budget, read the reviews and comments of what others have said about it, read the ratings and make up my mind. 


The contributions of others on google map has been very useful , helpful and saves one a lot of stress as the reviews and comments made by contributors are generally true in many cases. 

Comments